Stanza 85

Boccaccio:

La donna con paziente animo l'ascoltò né altro rispose se non: "Signor mio, pensa di contentar te e di sodisfare al piacer tuo e di me non avere pensiere alcuno, per ciò che niuna cosa m'è cara se non quanto io la veggo a te piacere".

The lady heard him patiently, and answered only: "My lord, study how thou mayst content thee and best please thyself, and waste no thought upon me, for there is nought I desire save in so far as I know that 'tis thy pleasure."


Petrarch:

Ad hec illa «Et dixi» ait «et repeto, nichil possum seu velle seu nolle nisi quod tu, neque vero in his filiis quicquam habeo preter laborem.

To which she made answer: "I have said, and I say again, that I can have no wishes save yours. In these children, indeed, I have no share, beyond the pangs of labor.


Chaucer:

"I have," quod she, "seyd thus, and evere shal,
I wol no thyng, ne nyl no thyng, certayn,
But as yow list. Naught greveth me at al
Though that my doughter and my sone be slayn-
At youre comandement, this is to sayn.
I have noght had no part of children tweyne
But first siknesse, and after wo and peyne.


(close this window to return to the Clerk's Tale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment