Stanza 114

Boccaccio:

Comandatemi che io quella dota me ne porti che io ci recai: alla qual cosa fare né a voi pagatore né a me borsa bisognerà né somiere, per ciò che di mente uscito non m'è che ignuda m'aveste;

You bid me take with me the dowry that I brought you; which to do will require neither paymaster on your part nor purse nor packhorse on mine; for I am not unmindful that naked was I when you first had me.


Petrarch:

At quod iubes dotem meam mecum ut auferam, quale sit video, neque enim excidit ut paterne olim domus in limine spoliata meis, tuis induta vestibus ad te veni, neque omnino alia michi dos fuit quam fides et nuditas.

"But as for my dowry, which you bid me take back with me, I see of what sort it is, and it has not been lost; for as I came to you long since, stripped at my father's threshold of all my clothes and clad in yours, I had no other dowry but nakedness and devotion.


Chaucer:

But ther as ye me profre swich dowaire
As I first broghte, it is wel in my mynde
It were my wrecched clothes, no thyng faire,
The whiche to me were hard now for to fynde.
O goode God! how gentil and how kynde
Ye semed by youre speche and youre visage
The day that maked was oure mariage!


(close this window to return to the Clerk's Tale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment