Stanza 65

Boccaccio:

Whereto Griselda, without the least change of countenance or sign of discomposure, made answer: "My lord, do with me as thou mayst deem best for thine own honour and comfort, for well I wot that I am of less account than they, and unworthy of this honourable estate to which of thy courtesy thou hast advanced me."

Le quali parole udendo la donna, senza mutar viso o buon proponimento in alcuno atto, disse: "Signor mio, fa di me quello che tu credi che piú tuo onore e consolazion sia, che io sarò di tutto contenta, sí come colei che conosco che io sono da men di loro e che io non era degna di questo onore al quale tu per tua cortesia mi recasti."


Petrarch:

nichil placere enim tibi potest quod michi displiceat. Nichil penitus vel habere cupio vel amittere metuo, nisi te; hoc ipsa michi in medio cordis affixi, nunquam inde vel lapsu temporis vel morte vellendum. Omnia prius fieri possunt quam hic animus mutari».

for nothing can please you which would displease me. There is absolutely nothing which I wish to have or fear to lose, save you. This is fixed in the very center of my heart, and never, either by lapse of years or by death, will it be torn away. Anything can happen ere I shall change my mind."


Chaucer:

Ther may no thyng, God so my soule save,
Liken to yow, that may displese me,
Ne I ne desire no thyng for to have,
Ne drede for to leese, save oonly yee;
This wyl is in myn herte, and ay shal be;
No lengthe of tyme or deeth may this deface,
Ne chaunge my corage to another place."


(close this window to return to the Clerk's Tale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment