Stanza 16

Boccaccio:

affermandovi che, cui che io mi tolga, se da voi non fia come donna onorata, voi proverete con gran vostro danno quanto grave mi sia l'aver contra mia voglia presa mogliere a' vostri prieghi". I valenti uomini risposon ch'eran contenti, sol che esso si recasse a prender moglie.

but of this rest assured, that, no matter whom I choose, if she receive not from you the honour due to a lady, you shall prove to your great cost, how sorely I resent being thus constrained by your importunity to take a wife against my will."


Petrarch:

Itaque quando vobis ita placitum est, uxorem ducam: id vobis bona fide polliceor, vestrumque desiderium nec frustrabor equidem nec morabor. Unum vos michi versa vice promittite ac servate: ut quamcunque coniugem ipse delegero, eam vos summo honore ac veneratione prosequamini, . . . quecunque uxor mea erit, illa, ceu Romani principis filia, domina vestra sit».

"And so, since you are resolved that I should take a wife, so much, in all good faith, I promise you; and for my part, I will neither frustrate nor delay your wishes. One promise, in your turn, you must make and keep: that whosoever the wife may be whom I shall choose, you will yield her the highest honor and veneration; . . . and whoever my wife may be, let her be your mistress, as if she were the daughter of a prince of Rome."


Chaucer:

Lat me allone in chesynge of my wyf,
That charge upon my bak I wole endure;
But I yow preye, and charge upon youre lyf
What wyf that I take, ye me assure
To worshipe hir, whil that hir lyf may dure,
In word and werk, bothe heere and everywheere,
As she an emperoures doghter weere.


(close this window to return to the Clerk's Tale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment