Stanza 15

Boccaccio:

(no analogue)


Petrarch:

Quid unius enim claritas confert alteri? Sepe filii dissimillimi sunt parentum. Quicquid in homine boni est, non ab alio quam a Deo est. Illi ego et status et matrimonii mei sortes, sperans de sua solita pietate, commiserim; ipse michi inveniet quod quieti mee sit expediens ac saluti.

For what benefit can the distinction of one confer upon another? Right often, children are all unlike their parents. Whatever is good in a man comes not from another, but from God. As I trust to Him all my welfare, so would I entrust to Him the outcome of my marriage, hoping for His accustomed mercy. He will find for me that which shall be expedient for my peace and safety.


Chaucer:

For God it woot, that children ofte been
Unlyk hir worthy eldres hem bifore.
Bountee comth al of God, nat of the streen,
Of which they been engendred and ybore.
I truste in Goddes bountee; and therfore
My mariage, and myn estaat and reste,
I hym bitake, he may doon as hym leste.

(close this window to return to the Clerk's Tale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment